Wednesday, April 11, 2007

tuesday ride

Yesterday evening I went out for a nice ride. I started out from Foothill College, went up Moody (what a nasty little hill that is!), descended Page Mill, went up Arastradero (where I passed a group of people tending to a cyclist that I think had just been hit--eek), headed down Alpine, right onto Serra/Foothill, and toward Mt. Eden. My intention was to head up Mt. Eden, but I got within a mile of Stevens Canyon Park and noticed that cars were starting to turn their headlights on. Rats. Time to head back. I'm a little bummed I didn't get that second good-sized hill in, but it's okay. By the time I was headed north again, the remnants of the virus from hell were catching up to me a bit, particularly when I had to stop at red lights.

Disappointing to know that I'm not at 100% yet. I had this rudely highlighted for me when I reached the top of Moody. The last half-mile sucks, but it really wasn't as bad as I'd been anticipating.

Anyway, I reached the top where there were three other cyclists, about to part ways after their ride. As I'm catching my breath and grabbing a quick drink, one of them turns to me and says, "Wow. Heavy breather." Nice.

What I wish had happened: I glare at her, hawk a massive glob of phlegm, spit it near her front tire, and say I've been trying to shake a nasty virus for awhile. She edges away and keeps quiet.

What really happened: I mumble something about getting over a nasty cold and having never been up that particular hill before. All three of them nod vaguely and take off in their respective directions.

I'm just not quite evil enough to be a bad-ass cyclist, I'm afraid.

Anyway, what followed was certainly one of the wussiest descents of Page Mill in history...but I don't care, because I actually had the guts to go down a big hill by myself! I don't think I ever got much over 20mph, but that's justifiable. It was my first time down it, and it's riddled with blind corners. The pavement is great, though--I can undertand why cyclists with great descending skills think it's a lot of fun.

The rest of the ride wasn't too exciting (except for the shudder while passing the downed cyclist), mostly rolling or flat, and lots of work keeping a high cadence.

Today...surfing with James. It's a bit rainy and gross. I don't care about the rain, but hopefully the wind won't pick up and pull the waves apart.

No comments: