Monday, March 16, 2009

Vineman training: week #2

Monday, 3/9: Took an unauthorized recovery day. It was much needed after The previous Sunday's ordeal. Kept it to about 40 minutes of yoga.

Tuesday, 3/10: Spinning at Trek in San Jose. No Lynn and Hayley; as they are going back to work at the pub on Tuesdays for the next month or so. Spin up drill, followed by one short climbing drill, followed by LOTS of sprints. We did 10 sprints, 15" each, in the highest gear possible, building cadence the whole time. 1:45 recovery in between. This was right up my alley...I LOVE fast twitch stuff, really jumping on it. After the first 5, Bill looked at me and asked if I could even feel them. I said yes, but apparently he saw right through me; after that, we had to sprint in the biggest gear we could hold 100+ cadence at. Holy. Crap. Then we did 5 more sprints, only 8" long, with 52" recovery. Legs pretty much died. Then one more short climbing drill and that was it. Probably the most toasted I have ever felt after a spin--it was great.

Wednesday, 3/11: Did about 45 minutes of corrective work on my shoulder, and thenI went to my first-ever Tattersols workout. Tattersols is a all female running and racing team that meets at the Stanford Track every Wednesday evening. I had been kind of nervous about it; CJ had told me they are all really fast, so I was worried I might just get totally smoked. It wasn't bad though, I think I may have been a bit more "middle-of-the-pack." It was a relay-based workout, and I couldn't say how far I ran...just that I ran a lot. It was a lot of fun and a great workout.

Thursday, 3/12: First swim workout of training. I have joined Menlo Masters, but the heater has been broken since I joined, and I am sorry but I am NOT going to swim in a 68-70 degree pool...I don't need the swim time THAT badly. So, I went to Rinconada. It's so peaceful, really one of my favorite places to swim. I went 2300, and the shoulder actually felt pretty good!

Friday, 3/13: Took another recovery day.

Saturday, 3/14: Team workout at 8am. Riding from Edgewood and Canada. It was COLD, and I ended up sweeping the Elites (intermediate) riders on a 20 mile ride. So it was slow, slow, slow...and I was frozen. I think I burned 3 calories riding and about 2000 just trying to stay warm. Afterward, stood around at the intersection for another 2+ hours waiting for everyone else to finish practice. Then went for my own run with Sarah, 6 miles. Felt absolutely shredded but she managed to drag me through it. I pretty much went home and collapsed.

Sunday, 3/15: Rode 40 miles of rollers, again with Sarah, again feeling a bit shredded. At least I wasn't as cold as I was Saturday. Came down Edgewood into Redwood City. Scary. Not sure I am gonna do that again.

So...things I clearly need to figure out are eating a bit better for improved recovery, and fitting in some more resistance training.

No comments: