Monday, March 09, 2009

Vineman training: week #1

Here's how the past week of training went.

Monday, 3/2: Sign up for full Vineman at 4pm. Immediately start freaking out. Frantically start texting Stephanie, who advises me to sign up for a half-iron distance sometime in May. Sign up for the Auburn Half. Freak out some more.

Tuesday, 3/3: Meet with Stephanie to set up training program. Realize I can probably do this. Go to Bill's spin class at San Jose Trek at 7pm, wherein I find that Lynn and Hayley will now be regular attendees, since Lynn is going to be training with me.

Wednesday, 3/4: Have every intention of going to Tattersols in the evening, but realize that my schedule needs a little reworking for me to make a 630pm track workout for the next 5 months. Opt for a 5 mile run/walk with Sarah.

Thursday, 3/5: Session with Kristi-the-insanely-strong-massage-therapist to reset my dials for some serious training. She spends her time, in order of most important to least important, on right calf, left calf, right IT band, left IT band, and right shoulder. It was so intense I thought I might puke once or twice. Coach track in the evening for TNT.

Friday, 3/6: Everything is still very tender to the touch from Kristi's work of yesterday. No working out.

Saturday, 3/7: Coach swim/bike workout for TNT in early am. Then head out for 5 mile run at the dish (again with Sarah). Kristi has done great work as usual, everything feels great, nothing tightens up...however, in the evening I notice that my IT bands are covered with bruises. Holy mackerel.

Sunday, 3/8: Meet at Piedmont and Sierra to ride Calaveras loop with Lynn, Hayley, Caroline, Brigitte, Denise, and Ivy. About 5 miles up, Ivy falls over while trying to clip out and breaks her ankle...badly. Luckily we are still low enough to get decent cell phone reception, and a couple off-duty police officers stop to help us. The paramedics get her taken care of quickly with stabilization and pain meds, and then transport her and Hayley to the hospital. Now there are 5 chicks with 7 bikes--5.3 miles away from our cars--and nobody feels much like riding anymore. CJ and Brigitte hop a ride down the hill with one of the police officers. They came back up in their cars and somehow we manage to stuff 7 bikes and 5 women into a sedan and an SUV, with a total of 2 actual bike rack slots between them. Pretty amazing. We all meet up at the hospital to see that Ivy is getting good care and that her family is arriving to take care of her. We take off one by one and I head back up the peninsula a little freaked out, but with the pressure of needing to ride another 25 miles in the back of my mind. So I head to Sarah's house, and bless, her she is willing to head out and back with me for 25 miles on Foothill, just for the saddle time. I am shaken but I think it is good that I got back onto my bike right away.

Now, it's Monday...should be a swim day, but I was so tired after yesterday's ordeal that I just wanted to sleep in and ditch the 7am masters workout. Got an email from Ivy, and she was prepped and ready for surgery by 4pm yesterday afternoon; today she has 2 screws and a plate in her ankle, and clearly, she will not be doing Wildflower this year. :-(

No comments: