Monday, February 05, 2007

It's time to train for Wildflower!

Long time without blogging... So i'll just jump right in. The first ten or so weeks of my off-season training plan went off without a hitch. Then a 3 week bout of bronchitis, followed closely by the death of a dear family member, pretty much foiled the last 2 weeks of my power phase. I was barely able to hang on to a decent fitness level with about 2 workouts a week, if that, during my sickest days and the days with my gran in the hospital.

Now spring TNT season has officially started. I'm feeling good and ready to roll. I've signed up for long course at Wildflower this year. I know, crazy, right? That would be a 1/2 Ironman, and just about one of the toughest courses out there! For those of you unclear on the distances, a 1/2 Ironman consists of a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike ride, and a 13.1 mile run.

Today I went for my first swim in about 8 weeks. Phew... swim efficiency goes downhill in a HURRY when you take a little time away! But I managed to make it through the long course pro workout pretty comfortably.

warmup 500m
drill 8x50m (15")
8x50m @ L2 (10")
cool down 200m

Triceps felt a little tight, and gliding got a little harder as a got winded and felt my buoyancy dropping as I had a harder time relaxing and keeping my lungs fulls of air. Shouldn't be a problem to bring it right back together again, though. This weekend at practice we've got a 500m marker set. I'm anxious to see how I do with it--hopefully not too slow!

Might try to fit in a quick strength session in later today--low intensity, high reps. Just enough to wake up a few more muscle fibers that have only been firing sporadically for about a month!

No comments: