Monday, January 19, 2009

broken wing

So...I gotta have shoulder surgery. It hasn't been 100% confirmed yet, but I know it's true. Curse my education. I went in and had it examined last Wednesday. 2+/3 laxity in all directions on both shoulders, and a positive O'Brien's test on the right. What's that mean you say? Well...it's not very good.

Given my age and my long history of shoulder issues, this is probably what I've got.

Cycling, running, and believe it or not, swimming are okay. Probably plenty of yoga, although I've identified a few poses that make me pretty uncomfortable. Aside from that...it'll be lots of superlegs. I've got a 30 minute lower body blitz scheduled with a colleague tomorrow. Oh, yeah...and lots of shoulder pre-hab.

So...no Olympic lifting, limited kettlebells, no pushups, no pullups, and probably no crossfit either. Boo. Hiss.

What really sucks it that it is starting to bug me at work.

I was pretty bummed at the outset, and believe me, I'm still pretty unthrilled...but I just read and article about Dara Torres. Five knee surgeries and three shoulder surgeries.

So someday I can be Supergirl again. :-)

No comments: