Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Two posts in one day!

Just to keep it all straight, while it is fresh in my mind.

Test ride #1 (last weekend): Trek Madone 4.7, standard size 54. It felt weird--my first experience on a full carbon frame. I could feel definite "squishiness" which I am now informed is "vertical compliance." Definitely responsive--I could feel it jump forward when I first hopped on the pedals. Was I in love with it? I'm not sure. Bill looked me over on it pretty thoroughly and then ordered a 56cm WSD for me to try. It just came in yesterday, so I will go back Sunday and see if it sings to me.

Test ride #2 (20 minutes ago): Specialized Roubaix Expert, standard size 52. I was a bit skeptical of the smaller size at first, but it turns out that Specialized geometry is designed to set the rider in a more upright position, conducive to longer rides. I took off on this bike like a shot--it damn near jumped out from under me when I first hit the pedal. I have to admit--this is a damned sexy ride. Light, responsive, crisp shifting. A little more $$$ than the Madone--in fact, way outside my original budget. And I feel a bit guilty--sorta like I'm cheating on the Trek boys with a bike that is younger, hotter, and can go all night (day?). Hmmmmm. Maybe I should have them build/spec out something a little more upscale for me to compare the Roubaix to. Argh.

Argh. Shopping for big expensive toys is fun but it also makes me want to tear out my hair.

No comments: