Wednesday, August 01, 2007

first track practice!

Coaching:

Last night was our first track practice as a team for the fall tri season. It went pretty well; just a light run and some stretching and dynamic flexibility drills. We're hurting for participants, which is a bit disappointing for me. Our goal had been to recruit 50 people and so far we've only got 22. :-( I'm trying to stay optimistic; we've got three more weeks to accept new participants, after all! The staff is a really great crew; a few familiar faces from spring season, including one of my ride buddies, Trista, as a training captain. Awesome.

Training:

I've just come off a two-week hiatus from training. I was on vacation in China! I went for one short run, but it was so hot, humid, and smoggy that I was pretty well toasted after about 20 minutes. Other than that, I did LOTS of walking, including quite a few steps hoofing it up and down the Great Wall at Mutianyu. Turns out that a total break was a good thing. The knee is doing a lot better, and I was able to get some good bodywork, including a Shen (Xen?) session and a couple Taiwan style sessions.

Since my return on Monday, I have been trying to get back on the California clock. Last night at practice I ran a pretty easy mile. Today I went for a nice, easy ride--about 24 miles to Calero and back. I went up Bailey--my first sustained climb since Escape from Alcatraz on June 3rd--and the knee felt pretty good! Didn't pinch at all until I only had about 5 miles left...not bad. As I was coming down McKean, Linda Gallo passed me and said hello! Always fun to sight a local pro. :-) If only I could swim like her! Now I'm at home, kicking back with the knee on ice. I'm feeling pretty good. The break did me good, and I don't think I've lost too much fitness.

No comments: